Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lasagna



So I totally forgot to get that recipe from Rob, so we'll just have to skip that part and go on to last night. Yesterday was bread day, plus I needed to scrub the house, and yet somehow I managed to squeeze out a great lasagna. My lasagna is super easy to make, and you can make it early, throw it into the fridge, and cook when your ready! First off I have to say that I don't really like the noodles that you don't have to cook, they always seem a bit rubbery to me. So I started the noodles, put the baby in his high chair, turned around that the stinking stove was on fire!! I don't know what happened really, but it made me pretty mad. (well, after I put the fire out I was mad :) ) I pulled the pan off, and the fire, of course, got bigger, then I through my pizza pan on top, since your not supposed to use water on kitchen fires. Well, that didn't work out too well for me since the flames came up around the pan. :( I was beginning to get really worried when the flames receded, the smoke turned super black, and soon I was able to take the pan off. RIP Pizza Pan, you served us well. We got that pan for our wedding, over 10 years ago! So I suppose it really has served us well. I cleaned up and started again, albeit on a different burner! Anyhow, cook you noodles (about 6) per box instructions, usually boil for 10 min. then I put the pan in the sink and run cold water, and I never plan far enough in advance to let them cool on their own. Now you need to dice up 1/2 onion, and 1 mince 1 clove of garlic, and saute. Rob says I don't saute things right, so I'll tell you what I do. I drizzle a bit of EVOO in the sauce pan, and just toss in my onions, and garlic. When the onions are clear I put in my hamburger. You can use chicken, or your choice of meat, but I only cook the onions and garlic with hamburger. Anyway, cook and drain your meat, grease the pan (9X13) I use Crisco, its a lot cheaper to buy a big tub of Crisco then the spray on grease's. Pull out a mixing bowl, and toss in your meat, onions, and garlic. Chop up and add 1/4-1/2 red or green pepper (green is prettier, but if you have kids, chop the pepper really fine). Add a hand full (or two) of shredded cheddar, about 1/2 pound cottage cheese, and a bit of any other type of cheese, we like feta, a small can of mushrooms, and finally spaghetti sauce, mix all together. Next I put a 8 oz can of tomato sauce on the bottom of the 9X13 pan, add a layer of noddles (about 3) then a layer of everything else from your bowl, another layer of noodles, and top off with the rest of your mixture. I add another layer of cheddar cheese on top just for Rob. Toss that into the oven, uncovered, for 35ish minutes @ 350.

ENJOY!!

1 comment: