Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Split Pea Soup

What a beautiful spring day!! Yesterday it snowed, today its mid 60s, and its only going to get better as the week goes. I love spring! So why, you might ask, did I choose such a winter dinner for tonight? I have no clue. lol I am going to write in a real recipe style today :) hopefully this will help me remember things. When I go back to proof read, I always remember more ingredients lol.

*1 Ham Roast-thawed
1 lb split peas, prepared per package instruction
1 Onion
1 Red Pepper
4 Carrots
2 tsp Parsley flakes
2 Cloves Garlic
**3 Celery stocks

Put ham and split peas into crock pot, turn on high. Dice Onion, Red Pepper, Celery Stocks, mince the Garlic, and add to pot along with all other ingredients. Mix. Cook for, well, all day.

All measurements are approximate, I don't really measure anything, I just keep adding until it looks, tastes, and smells right. You can add what ever else sounds good to you, just try to keep it colorful.

*Can substitute a beef roast, but it won't have nearly the flavor
**Can substitute diced Celery seeds

Homemade Rolls go perfect with this dinner. Crystal was so right, my kids actually eat their dinner now, they used to look at what was on the plate, and say "ewww Gross" and walk away, I couldn't even get them to sit at the table! Now they are asking for seconds, which, really, is why I started blogging about food, if your lucky one of these days I'll give you my bread recipe.


ENJOY!

2 comments:

CoffeeMom said...

just a note for you you can use salt on kitchen fires :) I love lasagna. I make serveral types from using turkey burger or cubes (great after thanksgiving)and chicken I have a recipe for shrimp just can seem to make it.
Glad the fire was not worse. Hugs to you and yours.

Rob Larsen Family said...

I did not know about salt! My sil reminded me of Baking Soda though (thanks Sarah!)